- Set the oven rack at the middle position. Preheat oven to 180 (350 °F).
- Grease a 1.5-L (6-cup) ovenproof dish.
- Distribute 500 ml (2 cups) turnips in one layer, then 250 ml (1 cup) apples. Season with salt, drizzle with half the maple syrup and dot with half the butter.
- Lay out the rest of the turnips and apples evenly, season with salt and add the rest of the maple syrup and butter.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and continue baking uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the topping golden brown.