Maple Banana Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and lemon zest.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the canola oil with the maple sugar, maple butter and maple syrup.
- Add the egg whites and beat until smooth and uniform.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients and banana, folding in with a wooden spoon.
- Spoon out 30 ml (2 tablespoons) portions of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving 5 cm (2 in) of space between each.
- Bake in the oven, one sheet at a time, for about 10 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies has browned.
These chewy and low-fat cookies certainly stack up against store-bought energy bars. They are easy to eat while training and delicious too, combining subtle maple and banana notes with a refreshing lemon flavour. When training for more than 60 minutes, the recommendation is to eat between 30 g and 60 g of carbohydrates per hour. Depending on your digestive tolerance, two or three cookies per hour should provide you with what you need. Per 2 cookies: 208 calories; 4 g protein; 4 g fat; 38 g carbohydrates; 2 g fibre.