- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the maple butter and the butter, then mix in the egg. Add the dry ingredients and shape dough into a ball.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3-5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC (350 ºF).
- After dough has chilled thoroughly, roll out on a floured surface.
- For the walls of the house, cut out 2 rectangles measuring 20 x 13 cm (8 x 5 1/8 in) and 2 squares measuring 13 x 13 cm (5 1/8 x 5 1/8 in).
- For the roof, cut out 2 rectangles measuring 20 x 11 cm (8 x 4 3/8 in).
- To connect the walls to the roof, cut out 2 triangles measuring 9 1/2 cm (3 3/4 in) on 2 sides and the other side, measuring 13 cm (5 1/8).
- Cut out small openings in the walls for windows (wherever you like). Using cookie cutters, cut the remaining dough to make garlands, wreaths, a chimney and other decorations.
- Place the dough cut-outs on baking sheets and bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool before assembling your house.
- Assemble the house by “gluing” the pieces together with as much maple butter as possible.