- Use a melon baller to core each pear through the bottom so it remains whole.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring maple water to a boil. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Stand pears in simmering maple water and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes or until the tip of a knife can be inserted easily.
- Remove from heat, let cool, then refrigerate pears in poaching liquid until chilled (about 2 hours).
- Remove pears from liquid. In a saucepan, reduce maple water over high heat until syrupy.
- Serve pears with syrup (warmed or chilled) poured over top.