- Preheat oven to 160 °C (325 °F).
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Incorporate eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping sides of bowl after each addition.
- On high speed, mix in vanilla and maple syrup. Finally, in 3 alternating instalments, add dry ingredients and buttermilk. Mix until all ingredients are fully moistened.
- Line a muffin pan with paper cups. Fill each cup to the top with batter.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes, until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a baking rack and let cool completely.
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in icing sugar. Add maple syrup and beat until smooth. Use to frost cooled cupcakes.