- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and squash in butter.
- Add maple syrup, and stir 1 minute before adding the milk. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook macaroni until al dente. Drain and return pasta to the pan.
- In a blender, purée squash and onions into a smooth sauce.
- Pour over macaroni, add cheddar and paprika, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well, transfer into a buttered casserole dish, sprinkle with mozzarella, and broil for a few minutes until cheese is golden.