- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Cut apples in two (horizontally) and remove core with a melon baller.
- In a bowl, mix together maple sugar, butter and salt to form a soft paste.
- Arrange 4 cored half-apples in a buttered ovenproof dish. Pour maple paste in their cavities and smother in maple syrup.
- Cover with remaining half-apples to recreate apple shapes and bake around 35 minutes, or until apples are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes before serving with a scoop of ice cream.