- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Line the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine the dates, water, maple sugar and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree using a food processor.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the date mixture and mix well to coat all the ingredients.
- Spread over the sheet and flatten with a spatula.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until it turns golden.
- Freeze for 30 minutes to set the mixture. Break into pieces.
These granola mouthfuls are a delicious snack when out on a hike, or add them to some yogurt for an afternoon snack. Due to their higher fibre and protein content than most store-bought granola bars, these crunchy clusters are a better choice for providing the energy you need for that hardcore workout. As a bonus, the maple syrup contains minerals, such as zinc and manganese, which can assist in muscle recovery.Per 60 ml serving (1/4 cup): 150 calories; 4 g protein; 4 g fat; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g fibre.