Bircher Muesli with Strawberries, Almonds and Maple
- In a bowl, soak the oats in the apple juice for 12 hours or overnight.
- Stir in the cottage cheese, yogurt and maple syrup.
- Add the apple and half of the strawberries, and gently mix in.
- Divide between two dessert glasses.
- Garnish with the rest of the strawberries and sliced almonds.
Bircher muesli is a popular Swiss breakfast dish made famous by Dr. Bircher-Benner in the early 1900s. This version is far from that sold on supermarket shelves, but rather a sweet and creamy treat that is perfect as breakfast fuel after a workout. With more than 20 g of protein and 60 g of carbohydrates, tucking into a bowl of maple muesli 30 minutes after a workout will ensure a speedy recovery. Per portion: 382 calories; 22 g protein; 6 g fat; 63 g carbohydrates; 6 g fibre.