- In a large pot, cover spare ribs with maple water and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, skimming foam. Cover and simmer over a low heat for 1 hour. Remove from heat and let cool. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 190 °C (375 °F) with rack on the centre shelf.
- Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Remove spare ribs from maple water and lay them on the baking sheets.
- Skim fat from maple water and reduce over high heat in a saucepan until syrupy. Add soy sauce and chili sauce.
- Baste ribs with syrup and roast for 20 minutes.