Slow-Cooker Maple Taffy Ribs
- In a bowl, blend the maple syrup, chili powder, salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- On a work surface, dust the ribs liberally with this dry marinade, and rub it well into both sides of the meat.
- Transfer the ribs to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Stir halfway through cooking. Remove from slow cooker.
Maple Taffy Barbecue Sauce
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the chili, onion, and garlic powders for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat 5 minutes or until the sauce is syrupy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200° C (400° F), with the rack in the centre position. Place aluminum foil directly onto the rack and place the ribs on it. Cook 4 – 5 minutes on each side, brushing with barbecue sauce. Serve with the remaining sauce.
* COOKING TIME FOR RIBS IN SLOW COOKER: 6 hours
* COOKING TIME FOR MAPLE TAFFY BARBECUE SAUCE: 10 minutes
To grill ribs on the barbecue instead of oven-baking: Preheat barbecue to medium and oil the grill. Place ribs directly on grill and cook 4 – 5 minutes on each side, brushing with barbecue sauce.